Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Day of Rest

Day of Rest

Rest days suck. Yep.

Actually, I was kind of looking forward to this one considering it's been a week since I last took one, and from Saturday to Monday, I ran approximately 40km. I envisioned myself coming home for a nap and then going to Cineplex at 7:00pm to see some eye-candy movie that would require no effort on my part to be entertained.

Flash to reality: I put in extra time at work, but still left feeling that my head was just above water. I came home to wait on a plumber that took about two hours to do a shoddy job. By that time it was too late to make the movie. Plan B: failure. Plan C: failure. Lately my free time really has not been free; it has revolved around my running and other workouts. When I don't run, I go to Pilates or to the pool. When I don't either of those... I'm lost, I guess. And that's frustrating.

I did get to doze a little in the sitting room recliner, but a hacksaw on metal does not provide an ideal lullaby.

The evening clouds were not without their silver linings. I was able to finish up a book on iPhoto (my first one) that I've been working on since January. I think it's ready for printing, but I want to give it one more edit tomorrow after my brain has been off of it for a few hours. Another great part of the evening was eating sun-dried tomato and green olive bread with Camembert cheese. Delicious. No guilt. One of the perks of all that damn running.

Before the sucky evening without a workout, I had a pretty good day. One of the day's highlights was the discussion I lead at staff meeting on intrinsic versus extrinsic rewards. I'm a big Alfie Kohn fan. His books always get me thinking; they force me to turn a mirror myself and question my practices as an educator. I was able to use some videos I found on YouTube (which as recently been blocked at school), and advocate the value of YouTube in the classroom. That's me, rocking the boat.






But did anyone listen?


No comments: