Monday, May 02, 2011

Discomfort

Discomfort

Yeah, you can see that my attempt at viewing the world in a more pleasant light was short lived.

As I was driving to school this morning, my phone gave the tell-tale tune of receiving an SMS. I don't read SMSes when driving (more dangerous in my opinion than actually talking on the phone while driving, but probably still less than an old friend, Suzy, who used to read novels as she drove the interstate back and forth between Jacksonville to Tallahassee), so I waited until I was stopped at the school's gate and read the short message while the guard rolled the mirror underneath the perimeter of my car to inspect for explosives. To my surprise, and discomfort, it was an gleeful message informing me of Osama Bin Laden's death and the resulting jubilation in the US, as seen on CNN.

The former terrorist leader executed a tremendous amount of evil in the world and thousands of innocent people lost their lives as a result. That being said, I'm very uncomfortable seeing footage of people actually celebrating someone's death. A sense of relief or feeling that justice has been served is one thing, but euphoria and parading in the streets cheering, I feel, are inappropriate. As a facebook friend put it, and I agree, "I think this column sums up my feelings on the issue quite well."

I will mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy....--Martin Luther King, Jr.



On a lighter note...

Finding this product on the shelf at Nakumatt tonight caused me a tremendous amount of discomfort:

Kitara Wine

Everyone loves a good tomato wine, right?

If the fact that this wine contains farmented (sic) tomatoes does not cause you a bit of concern, just think, of the 58 words on the label, four are misspelled. While it's only almost 7%, it's the label of a product that is being marketed and trying to be sold. Spellcheck anyone? How about simply asking a friend to proofread? Be presigious... This sounds like a drunken slur. I wonder if the person who typed the label did so after a few rounds of wine tasting.


(Slap to the forehead)
I could've had a fermented V8!

No comments: