Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Just Say No
(to the love of a dirty man...
Unless you are over 18, and he's Christina Aguilera Dirrty)




I went to an art exhibition at my favorite neighborhood restaurant/bar/coffee shop/art gallery, Katch the Sun. It's in Bugolobi, so it's walking distance from my house. I love the place. The atmosphere is so cool and laidback. I often go there in the evening to relax and read a bit. Anyway, back to the exhibition... It was put on by an American artist, Hilary Wallis (who, by the way, is originally from Atlanta, Georgia. GOOOO! GEORGIA!!!) She's been in Uganda for four months working with Plan, an international NGO. She's been working in Tororo District with youth and post test clubs. (These are groups of people who've gone to be tested for HIV. Members include those who postive and those who tested negative. The criteria for joining is that you know you status.) Together they have been using art as a way to express one's emotions and share one's experieces with others. I guess "art therapy" sums up the project. On display were pieces of art created by the people of Tororo and some of Wallis's (yes, apostrophe s is correct here) work. A short documentary of the work Wallis and Plan were doing in Tororo was shown. It was ok. My hard heart was not moved, but I do think that the work she and Plan did in Tororo is important, and I'm glad that they began it. I hope that it does not die when she flies out on Wednesday.



Word to all my hoes in the Boston area! The exhibition is going on an international tour and will be stopping at the Boston Museum of Fine Art on the 6th November 2006 at 6:00pm. Be there or be square!



Pull 'em up!

Pull 'em up!

Pull 'em up!

No comments: