Thursday, March 31, 2011
Wednesday, March 30, 2011
If ever a lemon of a Mac was manufactured, mine is it. The computer I type on at the moment has very little remaining from the computer that was delivered to me in April of 2009. Straight out of the box the track pad needed replacing. The next piece of hardware to go was the SuperDrive, then it was the logic board. To their credit, Apple did cover all of these repairs; it only cost me getting to an Apple store to begin with and some time lost on my computer because they had to send it off for a few days. The power cord snapped last month; luckily I was in the US as could replace that immediately. Today, my monitor bit the dust. It was not a pretty sight to see, literally.
Like a solution sent straight from the gods of Mt. Olympus, Elite Computers in downtown Kampala one again came to my rescue. The guys at Elite are like technological demigods: they find solutions that work, but do not break the bank. I fought my way downtown after school this afternoon, almost 5:00pm—rush hour—and did not have much hope for a quick, affordable solution; my Greek chorus would have been spewing out expletives. After explaining to the Elite technician my troubles and hearing his most expensive solution, I battled my way to a very reasonable price for a new screen and the labour. What a fantastic job he did!
I watch what I type now with the images appearing better than they have in long time, which leads me to suspect the previous monitor was biting the dust for a long time, building up to today.
Now all I need to do is replace the keyboard and the hard drive, and I'll have a new computer.
I'm so thankful. Hmmm... I wonder if to express my appreciation I must travel to make burnt offerings at Mt. Olympus, or if roasting goat over charcoal in Uganda will suffice.
What about rolling sushi at Angela’s?
An amazing hump day night idea!
Tuesday, March 29, 2011
Monday, March 28, 2011
- Monster (Kanye West, Jay-Z, Nicki Minaj). Nothing helped me pedal up those hills more than spouting out, "I'm a mother 'effin' monster!" And my growls and gunts would have lead many bystanders to believe it was true. Yes, Nicki's cameo is amazing and she deserves the recognition as the best contribution of to a single of 2010.
- Roman's Revenge (Nicki Minaj featuring Eminem). Yes, another Minaj. I said before that Pink Friday was a great album for running. The aggression of this song can stir something strong within. No matter how tired you may be, this song will give you the energy to keep truckin'; you'll feel like a dungeon dragon!
- I Wanna Go (Britney Spears). This song is so fantastic; probably my favourite on Femme Fatale. You don't have to wait to take on you freak until 'tonight'. You can do it on the running trail. In fact, that would be hotter. Love the whistles.
- Dancing On My Own (Robyn). She quickly became one of my favourite pop artists with her Body Talk albums last year. Being 'in the corner, watchin' you kiss her' pisses me off and makes want to impress you more by 'givin' it my all'. Robs, we've all been the one not seen and the one not taken home. I feel ya.
- Emancipate (Kelis). Yes, I, too, was in route.
Sunday, March 27, 2011
Saturday, March 26, 2011
Friday, March 25, 2011
Thursday, March 24, 2011
Do you ever feel, feel so paper thin,
Like a house of cards,
One blow from caving in?
Thanks for validating the space I do not waste.
Wednesday, March 23, 2011
Tuesday, March 22, 2011
Monday, March 21, 2011
Sunday, March 20, 2011
- Maybe it's the fact that she love Britney Spears so much.
- It may also have to with the quirky fun of Wizards of Waverly Place.
- But I think it has more to do with the YouTube video of her doing Nicki Minaj.
Saturday, March 19, 2011
Friday, March 18, 2011
Thursday, March 17, 2011
Wednesday, March 16, 2011
Tuesday, March 15, 2011
Monday, March 14, 2011
Saturday, March 12, 2011
Thursday, March 10, 2011
Wednesday, March 09, 2011
As if the intense night-time heat that does not permit one to wear much, if anything, while sleeping (night-time fantasies start here!), much less cover oneself with a sheet or blanket wasn't bad enough, the mosquito population has boomed making sleeping (and any other night-time activity) much less enjoyable.
Monday, March 07, 2011
Sunday, March 06, 2011
Saturday, March 05, 2011
Friday, March 04, 2011
Thursday, March 03, 2011
Wednesday, March 02, 2011
Here I am, back at TLH. Trying to get the hell out of Florida, take deux. I booked an earlier flight this time anticipating a delay and trying to ensure that I'd still make it to Atlanta on time for my connecting KLM flight.
Well the earlier flight today has also been delayed. It is unclear what is happening. All the information coming out at the airport is that the flight is "on time", but SMS messages are stating a delay of a certain amount of time, and the Delta website is indicating a slight delay. Rumor floating around the airport is that there is a possible cancellation.
Why? Why? Why? It's beautiful weather. If it is because of technical problems--two days in a row--I find that wholly unacceptable. It's not like Delta just began flying yesterday, and airplane maintenance is new to them.
For those of you who think KQ is bad with delayed/cancelled flights, I've got one word for you:
Watch this space.
Update (Thursday, 8.35am). I finally made it Amsterdam. The half-way point. Still an 8-hour (plus)-flight ahead. Crazy. The delayed flight from Tallahassee ended up only being, like, 5 minutes delayed. I arrive in Atlanta earlier than scheduled. That made me happy, but also a little concerned. The airport finally updated the flight status, and had us leaving at 15.09. That made three different flight status notices. Did anyone know where the hell that airplane was? I am very happy to be on my way home, and I'm looking forward to a night in my own bed. Any joiners? I could use a great neck massage.