Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Time.
Time Magazine's pick for person of the year is no surprise. I cannot think of another person that has inspired more hope, worldwide, this year.  I don't need to elaborate much on this topic.  The world has been buzzing about this man almost incessantly as of late.  I ran the hash yesterday.  It was hosted by Sir Apollo Kagwa Primary School, Mengo, and we all received t-shirts with Obama's name on it.  I'm not sure what the meaning was; nevertheless, his name was imprinted on these bright orange t-shrits below the name of the school.  My first Obama t-shirt!

I bought this issue of Time at the Uchumi supermarket this morning before I went to watch High School Musical 3 for the second time.  (I had to go a second time because they moved it to cinema hall 4.  The first time I saw it, it was being shown in cinema hall 1 which has horrible sound.  It's. A. Musical.  Proper sound in imperative.  Although, I sometimes think Cineplex could care less about the satisfaction of patrons.  Where else are we going to go?  Just take the 12,000 shillings.)  I thumbed through the pages of the magazine as I waited for the movie to begin.  There is a section of photographs of people's art depicting Obama and representing what he means to them.  I was over come by emotion looking at these photos.  While I don't think it's particularly fair to place so many expectations on one man, and I know that some of the decision he'll make will disappoint many (including myself), it has been a long time since I've been so inspired by a person and what he represents.  The emotion I felt today while thumbing through Time Magazine was almost as strong as the morning I learned that Obama won the election.  It's difficult for me to give a specific reason why/how this man has reinvigorated my pride in being an American.  I can't hardly wait for inauguration day, 20th January 2009!


On another topic, I'm trying to get more use out of the iPod Touch I was given as a gift (because I'm a teacher) when I bought my new MacBook in August.  I'm using the calendar and notes applications more regularly.  I had it with me this morning because I'd typed my to do list in it.  I figured I wouldn't misplace this list.  Anyway, while watching the film, I took a few notes with my iPod.  I later used these notes to come to my conclusion about the top three performances in High School Musical 3.  Here we go...
  1. Ashley Tisdale played the devil out of her role.  Her performance as Sharpay was fabulous.  Favourite line:  "That is so gross."  Entertainment Weekly agrees with me on this one: "...the breakout star is Ashley Tisdale, whose Sharpay makes narcissism a goofy, bedazzled pleasure."  
  2. Vanessa Hudgens' legs.  Someone has been doing pilates.  Beautiful.  Plus V has improved her dancing skills exponentially from the first HSM, and her legs look great moving in a coordinated manner to the rhythm of the music.
  3. The third standout goes to the-guy-who-plays-Troy's dad's (I'm not even going to bother looking up the actor's name because I'm sure after High School Musical, he'll fade into obscurity.) bags under his eyes.  The bags along with the serial-killer haircut actually overshadowed his horrible acting and the horrible advice his character always give Troy.  Advice to Troy (fictitious as you are):  listen to your dad's counsel and do the opposite.  
“I just want the rest of my life to feel as good as my high school musical.”

No comments: