Sunday, June 12, 2011

30 Years and We Need More Angels

30 Years and We Need More Angels

Today, I found the most exciting news of the year, month, week, day, hour, minute, second right here. Love it. Love it. Love it. It makes the world a better place.

A lot of effort is given everyday by many to make the world a better place. For more than 30 years now, a tremendous amount of money, other resources, time, effort, love has been put into combating the reality of AIDS.


Thirty years.

I recently bought the dvd of the HBO production of Angels in America. I've never seen it before. I began watching it last week with a friend, but ended up falling asleep. Not that the show was boring, but we began watching it pretty late, I'd had a long day, and I simply could not stay awake. I'm giving it a second go with another friend right now as I blog. We're on part two.

I guess the timing is appropriate, considering the subject matter of the play. (The script is fantastic, by the way.) I remember seeing highlights from the original Broadway production on E, when E was new and pretty much only showed movie previews and broadway news. The scene of the encounter between the drag queen homosexual and the young Mormon woman is an amazing one that really made a humourous impact on my young teenaged mind.


Memorable.

The play was written almost twenty years old, yet the script and issues addressed are no less powerful. My friend and I are talk, talk, talking. By the way, Mary Loiuse Parker is an amazing actress.

I know, it just seemed like the kinda thing a mentally-deranged, sex-starved, pill-popping housewife would do.

Ok, we just finished part two. Oh, my. The final scenes of abandonment and betrayal: heartbreaking.

More to come, I'm sure.

There's so much in life that tears us down and makes us feel less than (fill in blank). Why add to that? Why not do the opposite?

No comments: