Monday, February 26, 2007


So I'm a part of a running club that meets every Monday evening at 6:00pm for a run and dinner afterwards, the Kampala Hash House Harriers. They call themselves a "drinking club with a running problem." Going out on the hash is something I look forward to every week. There is no specific location for a run, the starting point changes each week, and I get to see parts of Kampala that I would probably never venture into otherwise. Some weeks we jog through the most elite areas with high walls and uninviting gates. Other weeks we are making paths through the slums, dodging small children and women cooking on their charcoal stoves. It's good fun, and we provide free entertainment for the local residents who often get a kick out of seeing a group of people running through their neighborhoods. Some of the hash locations are a little bit off the beaten track, and finding the venue is half of the fun.

I've been doing the runs since September of 2006. My friend and co-teacher, Kat, introduced me to the group, and I'm so glad she did. It has been an excellent way for me to meet new people in a new city. I've also gotten myself back into shape and shed at least 10 pounds since I came back to Uganda.

I actually look forward to Mondays.

On! On!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"drinking club with a running problem" That's funny. How many miles a run do you do?

Raina

nicolegail said...

That sounds like so much fun! I really wish we had a group like that in Abilene. Of course I would be more interested in the drinking part, then the running. :-) To each their own.

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I need a drinking club with a running problem in my neighborhood.

Anonymous said...

It really a total fun with the guys as them .....How shall I have to shell out to join the Drinking Club by the way ????

Anonymous said...

It's seems a fantacy...I mean I only read such things in fictions or in films..But anycase your blog seems totally funny to me ...I come here earlier also 2 weeks ago...its really incredible place....to have some real doze..