Friday, August 03, 2007

I'm it


A first: I was tagged. It made me feel so popular.

1. We have to post these rules before we give you the facts.
2. Players start with eight random facts/habits about themselves.
3. People who are tagged need to write their own blog about their eight things and post these rules.
4. At the end of your blog post, you need to choose eight people to get tagged and list their names.
5. Don’t forget to leave them a comment telling them they’re tagged, and to read your blog.

Ok, let’s begin:

1. I don’t like foods made with bananas, but I like bananas…by themselves.

2. I fell out of a tree when I was like 8 or 9 and landed on my head. I had briefly suffered from amnesia. My mother also thought that the fall caused me to demonstrate symptoms of Tourette’s syndrome because I developed what she considered a tic: I’d rapidly shake my head back and forth at any given time. I think I outgrew it.

3. Both my grandmother and one of my mother’s good friends told me on separate occasions that they are so happy, yet surprise, that I didn’t grow up to be too-bad-looking because I was a very ugly baby/infant and they were worried.

4. As a child, the first thing I ever wanted to be ‘when I grew up’ was a stripper. I think I was five or six when I saw Chippendales perform on the Donahue show, and I thought it was the greatest thing ever: dancing and taking one’s clothes off. Then I wanted to be a baker for several years. Then a popstar. Next a director—stage first, later film (even got a scholarship based on my aspirations to become a documentary filmmaker). After that it was an ethno-botanist, hence a degree in biological science. Then I wandered into education.

5. For my mother’s birthday in 1999, I took her to see Ragtime. If you’ve never read the 1975 novel, seen the play (1998 Tony Award nominee for best musical) or listened to the play’s soundtrack, I recommend you do so. There was also a movie made in 1981 based on the book. I never saw it, so I cannot recommend it.

6. The first magazine that I ever subscribed to was Rollingstone, back when Madonna was with Warren Beatty, Spin Doctors (who?) were considered to be the future of rock music, MC Hammer was big and Naomi Campbell was doing GAP ads. I was 13.

7. I believe the best way to enjoy warm, tropical water is to go skinny-dipping.

8. A perfect evening to me is good friends, great food, even better conversation and lots of laughing.

Who can I tag? I’ve never tagged before. Do I know 8 people who blog who’ve not already been tagged? Ok, I tag Nicole, Celeste (does she still have a blog?), hmmm…

2 comments:

The 27th Comrade said...

Heh. I had some Tourette-like things, too. Ticked about for a while and I outgrew it, I think.

ppowb said...

Timothy, thanks for the insights into Kampala. Would you be willing to talk about your time in Bulindi some more? I am heading in your direction next month. mail ppowb@myway.com