Tuesday, August 14, 2007

No one should be left alone to dress and to accessorize.

I’ve been MIA for a while, and there is so much I feel like I need to express. While I cannot sum up my ideas concisely through a monologue from a made-for-television movie, I can use a few photos, graphics and links accompanied by random spewings from my mind—nothing really different from my usual post. Here goes:

• What get’s me going:

It’s no secret that I’m training for November’s MTN marathon. I really want to go the distance, but it’s no simple task to get out the door and get the necessary training done. A great soundtrack is a must. No, Eye of the Tiger is not on my ipod, but the sound track to three hit Broadway musicals are:


Who knew that one could find athletic motivation to go the extra mile from songs of a Nubian princess slave falling for an Egyptian army captain, a blonde from Malibu fighting for love and finding confidence in herself, and the evolution of a little green girl? This combination gets a big thumbs-up from me. It’s like books-on-tape…only FUNNER!

• Librarian love:

I finally got around to reading the latest and final Harry Potter novel. J.K. created an amazing world and spun a great tale that captivated much of the world. I admit to being in tears for the most part of the last 120 pages of The Deathly Hallows. I’m happy I finished the book before anyone could spoil it for me. I don’t like to find out about endings ahead of time; I like to discover them for myself.

Librarians… One of the women in my life that I adore is now a full-fledged librarian working in a children’s library in Boston. She and her colleagues got some special praise for a special project they did in conjunction with the latest HP release. Go Beth!

Beth in her own words: I'm a librarian, and I've killed a goat with my bare hands.

• More on the Chicks:

My girl, Nicole, lives in no-Chicks-land: Abilene, Texas. I blogged recently about the Dixie Chicks documentary, Shut Up and Sing. The girls are still struggling in Texas, home of the Chicks and the one they don’t adore, George W. Bush. Well, it seems that the powers that be in Abilene feel they should determine what people are allowed to watch and what they are not. You cannot rent or purchase Shut Up and Sing in this conservative, freedom-loving corner of the great state of Texas.

• Groovin:

There is a new night club in the new shopping center in Ntinda. The signpost by the road doesn’t do the club justice. I thought it would be just another hole-in-the-wall place, fun but nothing exciting. When I’m wrong, I say I’m wrong. I was wrong. I had so much fun at Club Le Lui. If you’re on that side of town and feel the need to dance, don’t hesitate to make your way inside.


The look: hash chic.

3 comments:

The 27th Comrade said...

Yeah, in that snap, you look like you have just landed. And your friend about to take off.

You know, I have resisted the whole Harry Potter thing, and I deserve a medal. Not been sucked in. Ever. Save for the first. ;o)

Anonymous said...

I want to go!!! I can't believe there is a new club in Kampala and I haven't been!! Damn pregnancy!

So am dying to know, did you buy the same couch as me?

Timothy said...

@ 27th: The first was the one I liked the least. My friend took off and didn't land until early in the morning.

@ Kelly: Pregnant women can still go dancing. Give me a call.

What color is your couch? I did get mine at Uchumi.