Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Defying Gravity


I really want to post something today, but my brain is just tired. Maybe if I just start trying, something worthwhile or entertaining will come out. It's the end of the year school year and everything is coming due. I've used my brain so much more in the past three weeks than I have in the past 10 months. I need to figure out how to spread things out better so things do not become so intense. Oh god! And relationships--friendships and all. It can get so complicated. Just thinking about it all makes me want to crawl into bed for a nap. I'm exhausted.

I've been having an afternoon stress-reliever with a couple of dear friends, and I feel much better. It's great the way erratic conversation combined with a shared tuna fish sandwich and drinks can lift one's feelings. God bless Zambia!

My friend just came back to work today. His sister passed away over the weekend. I haven't had too much of an opportunity to talk to him to find out the details. I've called him a couple of times, but he was busy with funeral arrangements, so our conversations were brief. I was suprised to see him come into the restaurant this afternoon, but it did brighten my afternoon. So let me rephrase my previous comment: It's great the way erratic conversation combined with a shared tuna fish sandwich, drinks and the return of a good friend can lift one's feelings. God bless Zambia and the resilience of the human spirit!

One small thing that brings sunshine to my life is Idina Menzel's new single, Defying Gravity. I just bought it from iTunes, and I have it on my Shuffle and it gives me a little extra oomph when I'm out for a run.


It's not so up-tempo, but the message is so inspiring, I just tackle those hills. Defying Gravity is a song from the Broadway musical Wicked in which Idina orginated the role of Elpahba, The Wicked Witch of the West. (For those not familiar with the greatness of Idina, she was also the orginal Maureen in Rent. Plus, she's married (or was; I'm not so up-to-date on my gossip) to Taye Diggs (who was the orginal Benny in Rent). I love the broadway version; it really gets me inspired and dancing around house. Just pop by any "cleaning day" and you'll see. I'm actually browsing iTunes as I type to pick out one of the remixes. I <3 Idina!

Maybe I'll go out tonight. Maybe I won't. I feel like I need to. It's been a while, and I feel the need to see some old friends. I'm just so, almost, broke after paying school fees. I know I mentioned it in my previous post, and I don't want to become a whiner, but it's the reality inwhich I'm living. I have about 80,000 shillings (about $47) to get me through the next eight days (inluding two days of school holiday and a weekend!), and I am really not in the mood to live life as a pauper. How life changes! When I lived in the village during the Peace Corps days, I could live off of 5,000 shillings a week. If I had 80,000 for a month, I knew I would be OK.

Is telling someone with whom you've had a little romantic involvement that you are married after you've known each other for a while, and the second party had no clue of any other involvement, a way of brushing him off or are you just coming clean and being honest or is it a not so (but possibly) funny joke? Just asking.

1 comment:

Iwaya said...

I just discovered your blog through 27th Comrade's and definitely you're now permanently on my radar! you have something good going on here.