Saturday, February 12, 2011

Camp

Camp

On Friday night, I went out with my crew to the Cineplex to see Burlesque. It finally arrived in Kampala, and as any true-blooded admirer of camp, I was over the moon to see the Cher/Christina Aguilera driven flick. It did not let down.



The script was rubbish (as any great campy film's script is). But the stars really shined and never more than in the musical stage numbers. This means a lot coming from me, one of the harshest critics of singer-turned-actors I know: Ms. Xtina's acting was not bad. I'd probably classify it as pretty good. Maybe I was expecting horrible, so my surprise at her decent performance was quite great. I mean, you really would not believe it was her big screen debut.

Mentioning the script, I cannot miss pointing out the best line of the show. In fact, it is probably one of my favourite lines ever delivered in campy cinematic history (yes, that means a lot). It is definitely the best line Cher has ever delivered, even better than, "Snap out of it!"

I have more important things to worry about than you pouring tequila on your cheerios.

I could have died. Died. H. I. Larious.

This line was directed to Kristen Bell's Nikki. Kristen Bell is an amazing actress who I think was under utilised in this film. I would loved to have seen her get more stage time, with actual singing.

I jumped out of my seat more while watching Burlesque than I did while watching Black Swan. It was not the amazing stage musical numbers that triggered such an enthusiastic response. It was the rat the climbed up my leg and entered my bag of popcorn that caused me to look like a mad man in the cinema and leap up and run to the far end of the aisle. If anyone has pull with the management of Cineplex, please convince them to fumigate. Otherwise, bring rat traps with you to the cinema at Garden City.


No comments: