Friday, February 11, 2011

Ms. Headley

Ms. Headley

Ms. Heather Headley has been on my mind today. I Wish I Wasn't from her This Is Who I Am album is on repeat on itunes. The woman's voice is smooth. Love, love, love her. However, if you only know Heather as an R&B singer, then you only know a small component of this extraordinarily talented woman.


I was fortunate enough to have the privilege to see her perform the title role (which she originated on Broadway and for which she also won a Tony) of Aida in 2001 with Katrina (where are you, girl?). Amazing. I can't recall a stage actress's performance that touched me more--so much passion, so much emotion, and that voice.



Aida, if you are not familiar with it, is the story of a Nubian princess who is kidnapped and taken up the Nile to be a slave in Egypt. The music from the show is fantastic, even if it was written by Elton John. Enchantment Passing Through possesses some of my favourite lines in a song ever: If you don't like you fate, change it. You are your own master. There are no shackles on you. So don't expect any pity or understanding... Great for those days when you're feeling sorry for yourself.

Oh, Egypt! Today was a landmark day for you. You did change your fate. To borrow someone else's words: Vox pupuli, vox dei.

No comments: