Wednesday, August 05, 2009

The Banana and the Paradox

The Banana and the Paradox

This will be my final post about my weekend in Nairobi, then I'll move on to current affairs and Kampala.  But I had such a fantastic time with my fabulous friends, that I'm trying to drag out the experience as long as I can--even if I've crossed the border.

This is what I noticed while I was minding my own business trying to finish the latest Artemis Fowl novel, Artemis Fowl and the Time Paradox, but she yelled out, "For a banana!?!" at the little airport bistro next to my departure gate.

???

I guess the banana was overpriced, and she refused to cave to the demands of the vendor and went for a doughnut instead.  I'm always looking for an excuse like an overpriced banana to give me a reason to buy a doughnut.  What I would not give for a chocolate glazed chocolate doughnut from Duncan Doughnuts right now...  

While the woman was unhappily chewing on her doughnut, I continued to read my book.  I've been trying to complete the Artemis Fowl series since my students got into the series earlier this year.  I'd already read the the first two books in the six-book (so far) series.  Well The Time Paradox is book number six, so FINISHED!  


I completed the book during the less-than-an-hour flight from Nairobi to Entebbe.  In the Artemis Fowl series, The Time Paradox ranks up there with The Opal Deception as one of my favourites.  Maybe that's because pixie super-villain, Opal Koboi, reemerges to reek megalomaniacal havoc in a fashion that only she can which makes her one of the most amusing and dangerous pixie super-villains ever written about.  Oh, and she even has a new pair of red boots in this installment.

She's coming back, bitches!

No comments: