Thursday, August 13, 2009

Still Leavin'

Still Leavin'

I still have the option to rock and roll all night and party every day.  Not that that's my style, but I could do that if I wanted.  Yes, I find myself doing a bit of work in preparation for the new beginning at the end of this month, but I'm on my own time, no regular work schedule.  The 9 to 5 grind makes me think of my friend Kat.  I'm not sure exactly why.  When we worked together, we definitely did not have a normal 9 to 5 job.  Maybe because Mphanga told me one time that 9 to 5 was a song that reminded her of Kat, and because I want to be like Mphanga, I think I, like a creepy obsessed stalker fan, adopted the association between Kat and 9 to 5 too.  
The women (and men, too) who are part of the new Broadway musical adaptation of 9 to 5 will soon be looking for another way to make a livin' as the show closes at the beginning of next month.   I think it had its debut on Broadway in April... and it's already closing.  Now, I really  had high hopes for this show when I first learned it was being developed for the stage, with Dolly Parton writing the songs.  The orginal cast recording of the soundtrack was released on 14th July, and you-know-who was eagerly waiting to download it.  I find the music to be very entertaining.  While I must say that I have enjoyed other soundtracks more than this one (Rent, Spring Awakening, Wicked), I think some of the songs are great (Get Out and Stay Out, Change It, I Just Might).  And Megan Hilty's performance of Backwoods Barbie (song also from Dolly's previously released album of the same title) is both comedic and sincere at the same time.  The songs are pure Dolly, and I can actually imagine her performing all of them.

But not even Dolly's attachment could save the show.  It received mixed reviews from critics and did not win an audience.  As we know, good reviews does not guarantee a long-running hit (Ragtime), nor do mixed or negative review sink a show.  A prime example:  Wicked.  It's still going strong--there's just something special about this show that connects with people and the are still flocking to it after all these years.

I was offline for a day--I forgot to pay my internet bill.  When I was back on the nets, I had to get caught up with the news, gossip, and random stuff that I love so much.  I love information, and I love sharing it... I think that's why I love blogging and I'm becoming a facebook addict.  The following are photos/illustrations that triggered a reaction from me, and I felt like sharing.

I had a friend at university, Dana, who used to say that her favourite food was corn.  She even made me a card once with a corn theme.  I could relate to her preference because I love most food products made from corn.  However, Dana just loved corn.  When I came across this illustration yesterday made by Dave at blogography.com, the first thought to come to my mind was Dana circa 1999 and Florida State University.  You must go to Dave's site to see the original graphic because it's animated.  BRILLIANT!

Does it need to be said that Nia Long is a beautiful woman?  Or is that stating the obvious?
What not be so obvious is that she's and animal lover and she's taking it all off for PETA.  I'm sure that will raise awareness for their campaign against cruelty to animals... 

In semi-nudity related news, Rihanna's still sporting the pasties.

She's so badass.

I think that the furthest you could be from badass would be to be featured on menwholooklikekennyrogers.com.  Even worse would be selected as Kenny of the Month, like this guy.
Funny, huh?  I guess it has its value because I'm posting it and directing you to the sight.  I remember during Kenny's hay day back in the 80's where I grew up, there were Kenny Rogers look-alike contests, so I figure they must've been pretty common all over.  What an honor it was to win!!! 

Related to prickly situations related to penises (Sarasota, 1991, anyone?), Paul Reuben is bringing Pee-wee Herman back.  As much as I loved the character back in the day--Pee-wee's Playhouse was brilliant television--I'm not sure I'm interested in this revival.

I mentioned that I'm a recent jumper-on to the Gossip Girl bandwagon.  I love, love, love Leighton Meester's character, Blair.  I thoroughly enjoy watching her play the part of queen bee and remind people who the crazy bitch around here is.  She and Chuck Bass (Ed Westwick) are going to be in an upcoming issue of ELLE magazine.  Thanks to twitter, at least one photo leaked on to the internets.

No comments: