Saturday, August 15, 2009

Best of KLA

Best of KLA

I've been asked by more than one new arrival to the city and a few long-termers where they can find a good hamburger.  True, it's not fine dining, and it's what Nicole R. might refer to as 'so middle class' but, hey, it's what some people like.  Comfort food.  And I have nothing against that.  I love my Chex Mix and have a bag on reserve for an emergency.

I've never been a huge hamburger fan, so I'm not the best person to pose that question to, but as a true-blooded American, I've had to get my hamburger fix on occasion.  I've been able to recommend a couple of places as having decent burgers, but I've had my reservations with each recommendation.  Well, ladies and gentlemen, I have finally found the place that I can recommend without reservation or hesitation as having the best burger in town, and that is the new coffee shop Cafe Mocca (not to be confused with Cafe Mokka that is at the Oasis shopping center).  Cafe Mocca is located downtown across the street from Worker's house on Portal Road (or Street?  I'm not sure of the exact name), just opposite of the entrance to NSSF Customer Service. 
I'd never heard of this place before today, and I just stumbled upon it by accident.  Apparently, it's been open for about three months.  Unlike in the past, I rarely get to the city center, so I had no idea about some of the downtown developments.  I was forced to leave the comfort of the out-lying areas of the city and trek downtown today to buy a kanzu for an introduction (kwanjula) on Sunday.  Since I was in the city and had some free time, I decided to just stroll around--something I'd not done in a very long time.  The shop's sign caught my eye, and I had to check it out.  I went in and ran into a friend and found out the shop is his brother's.  Well, you know how I love to support people I know; it makes business more personal and more enjoyable to me.  I'm like the most loyal customer ever.  I mean, if I go to the supermarket, and I cannot find Jesa butter, then I just won't buy butter.

What made the burger super-duper?  Well, the beef patty was a generous size and they added fresh herbs to the mix.  The burger was covered with melted cheese topped with lettuce, tomatoes and caramelized onions.  And... the bun was freshly baked on location--very soft and tasty.  I was very satisfied with my order.

I'm so happy with my discovery, so I had to share it with you.  I am so happy with today's experience that I'm heading there tomorrow for breakfast.  I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

tumwijuke said...

I hadn't heard of this place.

Thanks for the heads up.