Thursday, August 06, 2009

Club Membership

Club Membership

I dedicate this post to the one... the only... BMac.  

Who's the leader of the club that's made for you and me? 

K-R-I-S-T-Y  T-H-O-M-A-S!!!

Unless she dies or is otherwise rendered unable to fulfill her duties, and then Claudia Kishi, with those lovely almond-shaped brown eyes, will take over.  What was Stacey thinking when she permed her hair?  For that, she is forever banned from being president.

Yo, B, guess what they have at the new Nakumatt at the new Oasis Mall that was recently built on what was until recently protected green space:  a whole section of the book department dedicated to The Baby-Sitters Club!!!

Yes.  Look!

So don't worry if your sister's claim that your mom threw them all out comes true, you can just come to visit me in Kampala and buy them all over again.  According to Wikipedia the series is currently out of print.  Well, I guess those unsold books locked in a warehouse somewhere were packed up and shipped to Uganda because there are two whole shelves of The Baby-Sitters Club books at the Kampala Nakumatt!!! 

I, for one, got into The Baby-Sitters Club books as a 27-year-old Peace Corps Volunteer.  Now you might call that strange, but I call it entertainment-via-the-arrival-of-a-free-box-of-books.  I can also claim I was under the influence BMac and mefloquine.  Potent combination.  I'm not one for secrets, so I admit to not only reading one book of the series, but a few.  I don't remember how many, but that's irrelevant.  

I didn't pick up any BSC books during my outing; that's so 2003.  I did, however, purchase Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice.  I've never read it.  I need to read it before I place my order for


Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.  
Yes, it's the classic romance mashed up with ultra-violent zombies.

Guess what else they have at the new Oasis Mall that was recently built on what was until recently protected green space:

vultures.

Having these guys hovering around is enough to make one lose his appetite.

2 comments:

Dawn Greensides said...

I love your blog Timothy! Where is this new mall on what was previously protected green space? Garden City just wasn't enough for the Ugandan's anymore?

Timothy said...

Thanks, Dawn. The new mall is right next door to Garden City and causing a traffic nightmare. I added a link to my statement about the green space. Perhaps I should've referred to it as protected wetland, but green is green even if it's wet, right?