Tuesday, July 21, 2009

He's Just So Into Ro and Drew

He's Just So Into Ro and Drew


I had a date tonight with my favourite princess and a half-blood prince.  RoRo finally came out of the bush, and it was a pleasure to have her on my arm as my date for the evening.  Even suffering from a cold, which she jokingly/seriously thinks is H1N1, she is a dazzling beauty. 

We went to see the latest installment in the Harry Potter series—no picnic before hand, not as creative of an outing as the one BMac slept through, but we did meet for juice, coffee and cinnamon buns before the show.  Two friends me us for the show, but one had never seen any of the other Harry Potter films, nor had he read any of the books—no better place to start than the sixth one.  He was lost and did not have a very high opinion of the film.  I, on the other hand, really like this film; it was one of my favourites in the saga of Harry Potter so far.  My other two favourites are The Prisoner of Askaban and The Order of the Phoenix.  My least favourite is The Goblet of Fire.  The Half-Prince installment was quite dark.  Of course, it would have to be with the death of a main character.  The actors are maturing with their characters and are becoming better actors with each film.  I appreciate how the Harry Potter films have relied more on story and characters to drive the film more than special effects as the series has progressed.  The first two and the fourth films were too eye candy heavy for my taste. 


Tuesday is half-price movie day at Cineplex, so I also caught the 2 o’clock showing of He’s Just Not Into You.  Yes, some films take a lifetime to arrive in Kampala; HJNIY was showing in the UK when I was there in February.  However others, like The Half-Blood Prince, open here at the same time they do worldwide.  HJNIY received mixed review, and my review (if I was giving one) would be just that:  mixed.  Some parts of the film were great, but I did find myself checking my watch for the time, which is not a good thing.  A positive statement:  I think this is the first film I ever enjoyed a character played by Ben Affleck.  I got a little choked up when he was washing the dishes.  Ginnifer Goodwin is fantastic.  The reason I decided to see this film… Drew Barrymore.  I’ve expressed my admiration of drew on my blog before.  I love Drew.  I think she is amazing.  She is a beautiful creature.  I’m really looking forward to finally seeing Grey Gardens, which just came out on DVD.


By the way, her directorial debut, Whip It, is scheduled to be released on 9th October.  Drew+roller derby+Juliette Lewis+Eve+Jimmy Fallon=A MUST SEE!!!

No comments: