Wednesday, July 22, 2009

What Happened?

What Happened?

Ever wonder that happened to the teen group from the 90s Hi-Five?  Remember their hits I Like the Way (The Kissing Game), I Just Can't Handle It, and I Can't Wait Another Minute.  Like tens of other people, that question has been scratching at the back of my mind for some time now.  I mean they were not just another one-hit-wonder band; I've just listed three hits by them.  Plus, they had that song from one of the Sister Act movies, and I'm pretty sure they performed at Grad Nite 1994 at Walt Disney World, or maybe I just fabricated that memory out of desire.  Maybe I am delusional because wikipedia says they disbanded around 1993.  Then again... it is wikipedia.

This was a boy-band that I did not know any of the names of the individual members.  They have been compared to New Edition, but come on, everybody could identify Ronny, Bobby, Ricky and Mike.  Not to mention Ralph and later Johnny.  So, no, Hi-Five, (as good as their songs were) were not the new New Edition of their time.  I just found out today that the lead singer of Hi-Five's name was Tony Thompson...  and he died in 2007.  That was shocking news to read today as I looked for album artwork to use to update my iTunes library.  

Sadly, Thompson, died a little over two years ago (1st June 2007) in his hometown of Waco, Texas.  He was only 31.  I find his cause of death even sadder:  an accidental overdose of freon gas.  He reportedly had a history of "huffing".  How does one go from a string of hits, including a #1, to huffing gas?  Poor guy.  








No comments: