Thursday, July 30, 2009

EBB

EBB
(I wrote this while at the airport on Thursday.  Obviously, I'm no longer there.  I'm in Nairobi having a marvelous time with fabulous people.)

So I'm waiting for my flight at the Entebbe airport; I'm on my way to Nairobi.  I've been thinking about this trip for some time, but I did not decide to go until about 10:00 this morning.  So the rest of the day was basically a mad dash to purchase a ticket, make crashing arrangements at a friend's place, packing, calling drivers for pick-ups.  Blah. Blah. Blah.  But I'm here.  Waiting in the terminal.

If you've not been to Uganda, the name Entebbe might only evoke memories of 1976 and  Operation Entebbe or the January 1977 made-for-television movie based on the infamous event, Raid on Entebbe (starring Charles Bronson and Peter Finch).  


Now I just found out that Raid on Entebbe was the second of two films based on the hijacking and rescue that came out in the 1970's, and both made-for-television movies were aired on competing networks about a month apart.  But like the three versions of the Amy Fisher story, one reigned supreme with audiences and critics.  The first film, Victory at Entebbe, must've really sucked because I cannot find much information about it; plus, I'd never heard of it.  And that says a lot, considering it starred Anthony Hopkins, Elizabeth Taylor, Burt Lancaster and Richard Dreyfuss.  

To me, the word entebbe first evokes thoughts of a chair.  After that, I think of fried tilapia on the shores of Lake Victoria, competing in my first triathlon, COS conference 2004, swimming pools, the first International BMac Day, and Susan, oh, Susan.


No comments: