Thursday, July 02, 2009

Getting Things Done


Getting Things Done

I've been a man on a mission for the past several weeks.  I've literally worked my ass off, and I have the jeans falling off my ass to prove it.  When I was an AmeriCorps volunteer, about a hundred years ago, our motto was 'getting things done.'  And that is still what I strive to do.  Well, I'm done with what I had to do--the final big task I had to complete this school year.  I must admit that I was more successful than I imagined I would be.  Two weeks ago, I encountered this behemoth of a challenge, and I almost freaked out.  I was on the verge of an anxiety attach more than once this week.  I am so thankful to friends and colleagues who supported me and those who were wise enough to just get out of my way and let me get things done.

Speaking of AmeriCorps, my former project director and I just became friends on facebook, and I discovered a new project she is working on; she's still involved with AmeriCorps.  The project is called I Am AmeriCorps.  The following is a a description of what it is.

The idea for this project was sparked by the desire to recognize the millions of individuals who work to build and strengthen communities through AmeriCorps. This project was launched on Inauguration Day 2009 when AmeriCorps Alums, Inc. marched in the inaugural parade. The faces you see represent alumni, current members, community partners, the Corporation for National and Community Service (federal agency that sponsors AmeriCorps), and many other countless organizations doing amazing work. AmeriCorps is a dynamic vehicle for change in our country. Over half a million Americans have served thus far. My goal is to build the collection to at least a half a million photos to be a symbol of the power of service. Show your support and post a photo holding an "I AM AmeriCorps" sign.

Well, let me get my beauty rest, so I can get my sign ready for my photo.




No comments: