Tuesday, March 29, 2011

It's Britney and Nina, Bitch!


It's Britney and Nina, Bitch!

Found in my inbox this morning:

!!!

That's right, folks, Ms. Spears' new album, Femme Fatale, officially dropped on the world today. Femme Fatale is right up there with Black Out, being one of Britney's most consistently fantastic albums. While I love me some Brit, I cannot pretend to be a fan of E-mail My Heart, Bombastic Love, Shadow or Mmm Papi. None like those on Femme Fatale. You can dance the entire album away and not rush to the skip button for the songs that don't fit. Jody Rosen's review in Rolling Stone magazine says this "may be Britney's best album; certainly it's her strangest." And in this case, strange is definitely a plus.

New music from Britney, how could this day get any better? How about Black Swan finally made it to the Cineplex in Kampala. At last I could go see it, as it should be seen, in a proper theatre. I watched a bootleg DVD copy over a month ago, loved it, and knew it would be a gazillion times better on the big screen. And it was.

Black Swan is no simple film, and I believe it must be seen more than once to really appreciate how brilliant it is. While I agree with all the praise Natalie Portman received for her portrayal of Nina, I think her mother was hauntingly portrayed by Barbara Hershey. She was so creepy. Images in my mind of her and Sayid from Lost making out probably added to the creep-out factor.

Humour me a bit. Natalie Portman and Britney Spears connection beyond my blog: in the early 90s they were both understudies for Laura Bell Bundy (the original Elle Woods in Legally Blonde the Musical and that rich blond chick that wanted her fiance investigated before they got married on an episode of Veronica Mars, season 2) in the Off-Broadway show Ruthless!.

No comments: